- The highly biodiverse Yangambi Biosphere Reserve and its surroundings in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are under pressure from resource extraction and population growth.
- The FORETS project will contribute to the preservation of the reserves ecosystems and to understand local market dynamics.
- Education of scientists and training, and engagement with local communities will facilitate improved management of forest resources.
- More sustainable resource management will improve community livelihoods and foster local economic development.
- Development, engagement, higher education and research combine for improved natural resource management