- Through participatory research, engagement and capacity-building activities, CIFOR has supported the development of a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) mechanism for Viet Nam’s nationwide Payments for Forest Environmental Services (PFES) scheme.
- At national level, CIFOR research informed a benefit-sharing mechanism, the financial management of PFES, a new Forestry Law adopted in 2017, and other decrees and decisions related to PFES implementation. In Son La Province, CIFOR research informed a decision on its benefit-sharing mechanism. CIFOR has also supported government agencies in their applications for additional funding.
- In collaboration with the Vietnam Forest Protection and Development Fund, CIFOR helped to normalize the concept of M&E, meaning central and provincial government stakeholders are now more aware of the need to carry out rigorous PFES impact assessments, have the methods to do, and have access to information on the effectiveness of their PFES program.
- Civil society organisations are now monitoring PFES activities in Dak Lak and Thua Thien Hue provinces, based on CIFOR research and training.
- In 2016, CIFOR received a government award for its outstanding contribution to the forestry sector, notably for its work on PFES.
Authors: Pham, T.T.; Ngoc, T.B.D.; Thürer, T,; O’Connell, E.
Subjects: ecosystem services, monitoring, evaluation, research, access to information, forestry
Publication type: Brief, Publication