- Gender inequality and gender-based violence are major development issues throughout Solomon Islands.
- Injustices against women and girls are particularly pronounced in the logging sector.
- Solomon Islands is making important advances towards designing policies that aim to achieve gender equity, but these advances are yet to become visible within the forestry sector.
- This info brief summarizes research on the impacts of logging operations on Solomon Islands’ women and girls.
- It calls for the development of legislation, policy and practice that ensures gender equity in logging operations and offers recommendations for doing so.
- The National Forest Policy and ongoing review of the Forest Resources and Timber Utilization Act provide important opportunities to address the gender injustices that characterize the Solomon Islands’ logging sector.
Authors: Minter, T.
Subjects: gender, development studies, forestry, forest policy, national planning, logging, regulation
Publication type: Brief, Publication